Saturday, March 23, 2013

March Madness Bracket Time

Its that time of year again when we get to show just how little we really know about predicting the outcome of anything. March Madness has arrived. Its that time of year when many of us sit down and put to paper our predictions for who is going to win the NCAA basketball championship. Along the way we fill out predictions for every single game throughout the tournament. That means we start with 64 teams, then down to 32, to 16, to 8, to four, then 2, and finally the championship team. A few days ago (before the games actually started) I felt real good about my picks. I was fairly certain I was going to have a higher than average winning percentage. Unfortunately they started playing the games and I once again was proven to be pretty dumb concerning college basketball. I cannot count how many times I have shouted "unbelievable" at the television.

Its really the same way in the spiritual realm. How often do we presume to tell God what we think is going to (or should) happen. We have no way of knowing the future concerning the day to day happenings of our life. Sure God has revealed some biblical prophecy. We can know the certainty of those events. But even with revealed prophecy our understanding of the details is often shrouded in mystery and shadows. God has not chosen to reveal everything to us, only what we need to know.

While we may get frustrated with the teams we pick for playing poorly or coaches making bad decisions, we need not worry about what God is doing in this world. He has it all under control, even if He has not filled you in on all the details.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Isa 55:8-9

"The secret things belong unto the Lord our God..." - Deut 29:29

(By the way, I predict Louisville over Indiana in the championship, 77-72)



Here is Haley's biography of another one of our church members, Clifton Ward.

A retired Naval Master Chief, Cliff has been with us nearly six years now, and currently serves as our church's "greeter and seater" as he likes to say. A true gentleman, Cliff makes sure all of our visitors and members feel welcome; visits with them, as well as helping with seating arrangements. "I like the friendship, fellowship, and preaching. He (Pastor Taylor) is very Bible specific. He preaches with conviction, but it really comes from his heart," he said about The Church At Katy. 
Every year, when given the opportunity, Cliff likes to freshwater fish when he is visiting in Georgia. A wonderful friend, and Godly man, Mr. Cliff is one of my favorite people at The Church At Katy. He always greets me warmly with a smile and a firm handshake. I like to think of him as an adopted grandfather; he's just got a way about him that makes you smile and feel good about yourself, like all great grandfathers do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment