Sunday, August 25, 2013

Words - Be Careful

It's been nearly a month since I last posted on the blog. There has been so much happen since then. I really have only one excuse, procrastination. Can that be an excuse? Oh well, at least it is a reason.

I was able to perform a wedding yesterday. As I spoke to the young couple and gave them my "charge," I said something that resonated with me in a particularly striking way. Yes, God even speaks to the preacher when he is in the pulpit. I said, "You both are starting with a clean slate today. You have the opportunity to make your marriage whatever you desire it to be. What your marriage will become will be determined by the choices you make." I know, not really profound, right? What struck me so strongly though is the fact that many of the little decisions we make ultimately work together to change the course of a marriage. Little choices can make major directional shifts. The Bible says says in James chapter three that great ships are turned about by very small helms. The little choices in life can make major directional changes.

The other day I was floating around in our backyard pool. The pool is not big enough to swim in but the kids enjoy it. I was lying on a float and just drifting around with the currents from the pump. The gentle breeze would push me one way or another. I found that if I stroked the water one time I could change the direction that my float was going. It did not take a lot of force. I was not thrashing around. Just a little push of the water and I was going in a different direction.

This reminded me of our marriages. We often say or do something while in an emotional state that we later regret. Sometimes we react (in an ungodly way) rather than respond (in accordance to the Spirit) and we later regret that reaction. It does not take much to change the attitude and atmosphere of the home.

I often remind our church family that once words flow from our mouths no matter how sorrowful we are, we cannot take them back. Our spouses may choose to ignore them or forgive us but the damage is already done. Be careful what you say and how you say. The Bible teaches us that "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." What this means is the right word, at the right time, given with the right motivation ministers grace and blessing.

We all could use a little more temperance and self control in our relationships. Remember the Bible also says that it is the little foxes that spoil the vine!

No comments:

Post a Comment